Martin’s Photos From Wimberley

Martin’s Photos From Wimberley

Martin Callahan shared some great pictures with us from the walk in Wimberley on February 26th. He took photos of several of us Colorado River Walkers on the trail, as well as interesting sights along the route, including the famous painted boots. Martin also got pictures of the historical markers around town. It’s interesting to read about the history of Wimberley and the pioneers who settled there.

The picture above shows, left to right, Doug E. (with Rudy), Rozy W., Mary Z. and Frank E. on the trail along Mill Race Lane. Below is a plaque that is nailed to a tree along this stretch of road that tells the history of the Mill Race.

Below are Jim and Stephanie K. along the same road.

WimberleyWalk-02-26-2021 Jim and Steph

The next picture is a plaque that tells the history of Wimberley Mills.

Below are some pictures of the painted boots around Wimberley. The first one shows Colorado River Walker Nelli A. towards the back and Gerry K. in the foreground by the boot that was near the Start/Finish table.

WimberleyWalk-02-26-2021 Nelli Gerry

Here is another picture of the boot with Susan M. (left) and Susan A. next to it.

WimberleyWalk-02-26-2021 two susans

Martin provided the following background information about the “Bootiful Wimberley” art project in general and the above boot in particular:

Susan Medlin (left) and Susan Alton pose for a picture next to one of the art boots visible along the walk trail. This boot was part of an art project titled “Bootiful Wimberley” to highlight community arts and enhance cultural tourism there. 32 boots were first revealed in September 2014 and by May 2015 an additional 18 boots were added raising the total to 50. Each boot is sponsored by at least one local business or organization, and painted by area artists. The boot the two Susan’s are standing next to is titled “Hill Country Birds,” painted by Doug Hiser and sponsored by Mike and Patti Morgan. You can learn more online about the boots at:

WimberleyWalk-02-26-2021 David Jackie
Above, David P. and Jackie L. stand next to a boot titled “Sisterhood” by artist Holly Edwards and sponsored by Big Dog at Ledgerock.
WimberleyWalk-02-26-2021 Martin
Martin and Rudy by the boot titled “Cotton-eyed Koi” by Rozi Turnbull. It was sponsored by and is located near Ozona Bank.
WimberleyWalk-02-26-2021-55 Doug Frank
Doug E. (left, with Rudy) and Frank E. by the boot titled “Cactus and Lace” by artist Mark Hufford. It was sponsored by Glenn Baldwin in honor of Melba S. Baldwin.

An interesting part of the route went through the historic Wimberley Cemetery. The founder of the town of Wimberley, Pleasant Wimberley (1823-1919), is buried there. Martin provided this link with information about the life of Pleasant Wimberley. Below is a historical marker for the cemetery.

Below is the John R. Dobie House. The historical marker in front of the house reads:

Constructed about 1892 for Charles and Susannah Cock, this house was purchased by John R. and Martha Dobie in 1899. A native of Scotland, Dobie (1849-1924) was a farmer, rancher, and Hays County Commissioner in 1897-98. A fine example of vernacular house types, the John R. Dobie house features a central hall plan, board-and-batten construction, and classical detailing. It remained in the Dobie family until 1977.

The walk route also took us through the Cypress Creek Nature Trail and Preserve. In the picture below, left to right are Doug, Jackie and David by the hollow truck of a cypress tree on the nature trail.

WimberleyWalk-02-26-2021-21 hollow tree

Next is a picture of Doug and Rudy in front of the Wimberley Cafe. Martin provided this description of the picture:

Doug Eide and Rudy pose for a picture in front of the Wimberley Cafe in the town square which has been in business providing tasty meals since 2005. The Texas Historical Commission plaque inside the building says the following: Site of Sidney J. Pyland Blacksmith Shop Wimberley, Texas. While still a young boy, Sidney J. Pyland accompanied his parents on their journey from Tennessee to Wimberley about 1880. In 1895, at the age of 20, Sidney opened a blacksmith shop here, just above Cypress Creek on the busy village Square. He married Nellie Ann Wimberley in 1897. For 15 years Sidney forged horseshoes, built and repair wagons, and hammered out implements for area ranchers and farmers. In 1910 he moved his family and blacksmith shop intact to San Marcos. This site has continued to be a hub of business activity on Wimberley’s Town Square.

And another picture from the town square – armadillos made from scrap metal and wood pulling a sleigh:

WimberleyWalk-02-26-2021-46 armadillos

Below is Doug E. (with Rudy) in front of another historic home on the walk route, the James C. Lane house. A picture of the historic marker follows this one.

I like the next picture of some pieces of colored glass on a fence.

WimberleyWalk-02-26-2021 colored glass

This last picture shows Kathy and Mike S., who worked the Start/Finish table and got us all headed in the right direction.

WimberleyWalk-02-26-2021-03 Kathy Mike

Thank you, Kathy and Mike, for working the walk, and kudos to Martin for sharing his pictures and information on the history of Wimberley, Texas!