The picture above was taken at the end of our September meeting. Left to right are Greg, Sandi (seated), Carol and Sam.
Colorado River Walkers
CALL TO ORDER: Carol O., president, called the meeting to order at 6:00 pm at Central Market patio area. There were 9 members present.
MINUTES: The 8/09/2021 meeting minutes were previously sent by e-mail and not read. A paper copy was provided to those present. One correction was pointed out. The minutes were approved as corrected.
TREASURER’S REPORT: Sam H. e-mailed a report of 3,509.85 in the checking account at this time.
YRE REPORT: AUGUST
Austin Historical – 1w
Lady Bird Lake – 43w
Fairview Park – 1w
Georgetown – 1w
Belton – 1w
Brushy Creek – 0w/0bike
Pflugerville – 2w
Round Rock – 4w
Salado – 2w
Total = 55w (53 adults x $3, 2 children x $1.25) $10 donation = $171.50
1. The Sunrise Walk held 8/28/2021 was a big success. Forty-two participants enjoyed the beautiful day as they walked around Lady Bird Lake. At the finish they were rewarded with sliced watermelon and grapes.
2. Deb P. and Stephanie K. updated all the CRW YREs for the upcoming year using the new AVA computer system. These entries will appear in the 2022 Starting Point as well as on the AVA web-site. Thanks to Deb and Stephanie for all their hard work!
3. The next sponsored walk event is the Violet Crown Trail via Dick Nichols Park, on 9/25/2021. Several exploratory walks have been conducted to identify the 5km and 10km routes. Carol O. discussed a map of the proposed routes. Three areas were identified where a “human arrow” will be needed. Charles R. and Mary D. walked the routes last weekend to identify areas for revision and marking. Doug E. will bike the routes this weekend.
4. The TVA meeting will be held at the Canyon of the Eagles near Burnet on 11/13/2021. CRW will staff the walk and will be responsible for the pre-walk in Georgetown on 11/12/2021 .and the post walk in Round Rock walk on 11/14/2021 Carolyn D. will be responsible for the Georgetown walk.
5. The Big Give, AVA’s yearly fundraiser is this month. A motion was made to donate $250 this year. A motion was made, seconded and unanimously approved.
6. A big thank you to Stephanie K who volunteered at the Tour de las Misiones last weekend. This walk was in conjunction with the yearly World Heritage festivities.
1. Clubs are being asked to sponsor an “Opt Out” walk on the day after Thanksgiving (11/26/2021). For a number of years the Georgetown YRE was used for this purpose, but another location could be selected. A discussion took place, but no action taken.
2. The monthly AVA Webinar will take place 09/15/2021 at 7:00 pm. The topic for this month was not announced. Anyone who would like to participate must sign up to get a password. See the CheckPoint for further information/instructions.
Nelli A– 125 events
Debra G – 475 events
9/18/2021 – Gonzales – Historical District – start 9am
9/25/2021 – Austin – Violet Crown via Dick Nichols Park – start 8am
10/5 -10/9/2021 – 6 days of walks in the Big Bend area – see AVA website for more information.
The meeting adjourned at 7:00 pm.
Mary Z., Secretary