Colorado River Walkers
CALL TO ORDER: Carol O., president, called the meeting to order at 6:10 pm at Central Market patio area. There were 10 members present.
SPECIAL GUEST: Marcia B., a volunteer with ATX Walk/Bike/Roll, provided information about a survey that is being conducted to help identify underserved park areas, particularly for those with disabilities. Carol will send an email with the link where the survey may be found.
MINUTES: The 7/12/2021 meeting minutes were previously sent by e-mail and not read. A paper copy was provided to those who requested it. The minutes were approved as written.
TREASURER’S REPORT: Sam H. e-mailed a report of 3455.85 in the checking account at this time.
YRE REPORT: JULY
- Austin Historical – 3w
- Lady Bird Lake – 1w
- Fairview Park – 4w
- Georgetown – 0w
- Belton – 1w
- Brushy Creek – 0w/0bike
- Pflugerville – 0w
- Round Rock – 2w
- Salado – 5w
Total = 16 x $3 = $48
1. The banner containing Bunker Ehlert’s medals and patches was taken to San Antonio by Deb P. She gave it to Hector Hernandez of AVA to be placed in the AVA museum.
2. CRW will hold a Sunrise Walk on 8/28/2021 at the Lorraine “Grandma” Camacho Activity Center, 35 Robert T. Martinez Jr. Street. The Start/Finish will be staffed from 7 am – 9:30 am. Flyers for distribution were taken to the walk in San Antonio last week and were passed out at the meeting. Carol O will bring watermelon slices for refreshment. Other refreshment contributions are welcomed.
3. The next sponsored walk event, the Violet Crown Trail via Dick Nichols Park, on 9/25/2021, is in process. Several exploratory walks have been conducted to identify the 5km and 10km routes. Carol O. discussed a map of the area that displayed the possibilities. Volunteers will be needed to mark the routes.
4. The TVA meeting will be held at the Canyon of the Eagles near Burnet on 11/13/2021. Room rates for accommodations on-site are somewhat pricy. Other more reasonable room rates can be found in Burnet. 2021 marks the 40th anniversary of CRW. It was suggested that that a cake or cupcakes be provided at the walk to celebrate the occasion. A motion was made, seconded, and unanimously approved to purchase a cake or cupcakes.
1. The Big Give date has been changed and will be held in September 2021.
2. Renewal deadline for YREs is 9/1/2021. Changes made after that date will not be included in the new Starting Point. The process for renewal is transferring to a new system. Stephanie K. and Deb P. will renew the CRW YREs. See the AVA Check Point for more details. There was discussion regarding use of online start boxes (OSB) for some YREs. No action was taken.
3. The new Special Programs for 2022 are Rails to Trails and City/Town Halls. CRW’s YREs will be updated to include these programs, as applicable.
The meeting adjourned at 7:30 pm.
Mary Z., Secretary