The photo above was taken by Carol O. on the Wimberley walk in February. Wimberly is a small town with a big heart and lots of public art!
March 2021 Meeting Minutes
Colorado River Walkers
CALL TO ORDER: Carol O., president, called the meeting to order at 3:05 pm at Central Market patio area. There were 10 members present.
MINUTES: The 02/07/2021 meeting minutes were read and accepted.
TREASURER’S REPORT: Sam H. e-mailed a report of a total of $3,440.16 in the checking account at this time.
YRE REPORT: February 2021
Austin Historical 4w Brushy Creek 12w/0bike
Lady Bird Lake 3w Pflugerville 0w
Fairview Park 1w Round Rock 0w
Georgetown 0w Salado 0w
Total = 20w x $3 = $60
1. Carol O. rerouted the Round Rock YRE to circumvent the many construction projects that blocked access to the established route.
2. The weekend of eight walks in Louisiana has taken place, but the walks are still available for the rest of the year for those who were unable to attend in January. See the AVA web-site for further information.
3. Texas County Walkers have established walks for 2021 in the Texas panhandle area. Event access is through the AVA Online Start Box.
4. The AVA has designated April 1-7 as National Walking Week. If anyone would like to host one of CRW’s YREs during this time, please notify Carol O. Since there is already a walk event scheduled in Comfort on 4/3, this date cannot be used. Other national associations recognizing walking are sponsored by the American Heart Association on 4/7 and the American Hiking Society on 6/5.
1. The CRW sponsored walk, Johnson Creek and Butler Trails, was held 02/20/2021. Because of the historic snow event in the days prior to the walk, there were only 22 participants with revenue of $71.
2. Stephanie K. is working with Doug E. on the next CRW sponsored walk on 4/24/2021, Texas Caves Walk. She reported that Doug has mapped out tentative 6k and 11k routes. There may be a 7k option. A map of proposed routes was provided and discussed. Because the routes may be complicated for some walkers to follow, two guided walks, one at 9am and one at 10 am, will be provided. Stephanie will be added as a POC. She explained the need for 9 volunteers to staff the walk.
3. A Zoom AVA meeting will be held on 3/15/2021 for clubs to vote up or down on the changes to the AVA Articles of Incorporation and Bylaws in order to meet Texas law requirements for a non-profit corporation. Carol O. will be CRW’s representative. She will vote for the changes.
Stephanie Knight: Events – 30, 50, 75, 100, 125
Distance – 500, 1000
Debra Galloway: Events – 500
Mary Z., Secretary
February 2021 Meeting Minutes
Colorado River Walkers
CALL TO ORDER: Carol O., president, called the meeting to order at 3:10 pm at Central Market patio area. There were 12 members present. Those present included one new member, Rozy W., and one potential member Deb P. who recently moved to the Georgetown area. Welcome Rozy and Deb!
MINUTES: The 01/11/2021 meeting minutes were read. The minutes were approved with several corrections made.
TREASURER’S REPORT: Sam H. e-mailed a report of a total of $3,515.46 in the checking account at this time.
YRE REPORT: January 2021
Austin Historical 3w Brushy Creek 1w, 0 bike
Lady Bird Lake 4w Pflugerville 7w
Fairview Park 7w Round Rock 11w
Georgetown 9w Salado 12w
Total = 62w x $3 = $186
1. Carol O reported that a walker from San Antonio voiced a concern with unsheltered individuals encountered on the Austin Historical Capitol Walk route. CRW will not reroute this YRE at present to solve this problem. Other YREs are not affected.
2. Carol O. also reported that requirements for the Special Program, Walking With America’s Veterans, can be fulfilled by walking many of CRWs YREs.
3. Stephanie K. is working with Doug E. in completing directions for the YRE loop walks at Brushy Creek.
1. The next CRW sponsored walk, Johnson Creek and Butler Trails, will be held 02/20/2021. Because of Covid-19, a Registration Log will be used in lieu of Start Cards. There will be no Check Points; however, a person will be assigned to monitor one or both tunnels to ensure safety. Carol is completing the walk directions and map. A sign-up sheet was passed around for those who would like to volunteer to man the walk. In conjunction with this walk, CRW will celebrate long time member Hal Bogardus’ 90th birthday. Volunteers will bring fruit and vegetable trays for the celebration.
2. The TVA Zoom meeting took place 2/6/2021. The following topics were addressed:
– David R., Fredericksburg Club, was elected as TVA President.
– Andy T., San Antonio Club, was reelected TVA Secretary.
– A Southwest Regional Director was not found. Kathryn K. will consider this position.
– The City of McAllen Club closed. The YREs they sponsored have been taken over by TVA.
– The Kerrville Club closed.
– There is the possibility of a new club in the Beaumont, Port Arthur, Orange area.
– The next TVA meeting will be in Nov. 2021, possibly in the Austin area. CRW will provide and staff the affiliated walks.
Mary Z., Secretary