The NB-Marsch-und Wandergruppe club will be hosting their Fall Walk in the Headwaters at the Comal this coming Saturday, Nov 7th. This is a wonderful opportunity to see this amazing learning center that is dedicated to the Comal River.
The Headwaters at the Comal is the beginning of the Comal River, and it is an effort to conserve the natural resource that has been and continues to be so important to New Braunfels.
A Few Details about the Walk:
- The walk route will be on residential city streets and park land.
- Walkers can start the walk from 8:00 am to 11:00 am, and they must be finished by 2:00 pm.
- Both a 5k and a 10k route will be available.
- The trail is rated 1B. The great majority of the walk is on a flat paved surface, but a short portion of the route is on an unpaved shoulder of the road. Because of this, it may not be suitable for strollers or wheelchairs.
- Pets are allowed on the walk.
- COVID19 protocol will be followed in the Registration/Start area – face mask is required, social distancing will be observed and hand sanitizer will be available. Please bring your own water bottle.
- Restrooms will be available at the registration area.
If you plan on Visiting the Headwaters at the Comal Learning Center:
- The walk route does not actually go through the grounds of the learning center; however, the center will be open and walkers are welcome to visit the learning center free of charge on Saturday.
- The area of the center with trails through the various ecosystems and native plantings is about a quarter mile from the walk start point.
- Pets are not allowed in the learning center due to the environmental nature of the site, but service animals are welcome.
- Walkers need to have vacated the parking lot by 2:00 pm due to another function at the Headwaters at the Comal later in the day, so please take that into account if you are planning to visit the learning center after the walk.
The Walk Start Point is located at 333 E. Klingemann St., corner of Lakeview Blvd and E. Klingemann St. in New Braunfels.
Driving directions to the start point:
From I-35, Take EXIT 189 toward TX-46/Boerne/TX-337. Follow TX-46/TX337 to River Road. Turn left on River Rd and drive to 4-way stop on Lakeview Blvd. Headwaters at the Comal is in the NW corner of the intersection. (NOTE: River Road becomes E. Klingemann at the 4-way stop.)
From TX46 (from Boerne/Bulverde) – Follow TX-46 East toward Seguin, onto Loop 337. Stay on Loop 337 to River Road. Turn right on River Rd and drive to 4-way stop on Lakeview Blvd. Headwaters at the Comal is in the NW corner of the intersection. (NOTE: River Road becomes E. Klingemann at the 4-way stop.)