Colorado River Walkers
CALL TO ORDER: Carol O., president, called the meeting to order at 6:30 pm under a shady tree at Balcones District Park. There were 14 members present.
MINUTES: The 08/10/2020 meeting minutes previously sent by email to each member were not read. There were no corrections and the minutes were approved.
TREASURER’S REPORT: Sam H. reported a total of $3,305.73 in the checking account as of 8/31/2020.
YRE REPORT: August 2020
- Austin Historical – 1w
- Lady Bird Lake – 1w
- Fairview Park – 0w
- Georgetown – 6w
- Belton – 0w
- Brushy Creek – 0w, 0 bikers
- Pflugerville – 0w
- Round Rock – 0w
- Salado – 1w
Total = 9w (including 1 coupon) x $3=$24.00
1. The next walk sponsored by CRW will be held on Saturday, Sept. 26, 2020 at Moya Park unless new directives relative to Covid-19 are received from AVA/State/County. Pavilion rental is still prohibited, so picnic and other tables will be used.
They will be set up to provide sufficient space between participants. A worker’s walk of the 5km route was held on 9/12/2020. A second worker’s walk of the remainder for the 10 km route will be held Saturday, 9/19/2020 at 8:30 am.
An assignment sheet for volunteers to man the walk was passed around.
2. In addition to the Big Give, another avenue for donation to AVA is through the Amazon Smile program. Charles R. explained that if you purchase items though Amazon, you can sign up for the Amazon Smile program and designate AVA as a recipient. A small portion of your purchase will go to AVA.
3. AVA continues to sponsor monthly Zoom programs for members. The meeting in August provided information on programs (ACE) that involve community groups. Walks would be organized by clubs but would not be placed on the AVA web-site and walkers would not receive credit. It is thought that these programs would be an avenue for recruitment of new members.
4. The TVA meeting and attendant walks in Nov. have been cancelled. A regular walk event sponsored by CRW will still take place on 11/14/2020 in Georgetown.
5. AVA is developing a new web site. Each member is to complete a profile and sign in under “My.AVA.org.”
Some members have a profile, if they had signed up for virtual walks via an electronic walk box.
6. Carol O. received an e-mail from Sherry Miller, a past CRW member who has flyers and other mementos from the 1980s. She will send it to CRW if we want it. It was agreed to accept her offer.
7. A virtual memorial service was held for CRW member, Ursula Brinkmann, on 09/10/2020. It was a beautiful service and tribute from her children. It is available to view on YouTube.
1. Updated membership lists were passed out to members. A discussion took place regarding deletion of delinquent members. Larry J. has attempted to contact each person with past dues; however, he has not always received a response. A discussion took place, but no action was taken. The topic will be revisited at the next meeting.
2. Most AVA clubs have shirts with a logo that identifies the club. CRW no longer has any shirts. Charles R. explained that shirts can be ordered from manufactures on an as needed basis. A club logo can be sent to the manufacture to add to the shirt of your choice. Charles was wearing one he had designed – very nice!
3. CRW member, Juan Maroquin, donated many beautiful memento plates to CRW that he collected at events he walked in Germany.
Mary Zeitler, Secretary