Colorado River Walkers
October 14, 2019
CALL TO ORDER: The meeting was called to order by President, Carol O. at 6:35 pm at the Mueller HEB meeting room. Eight members were present.
MINUTES: The Sept 9th meeting minutes were read by Barb B. and approved as read.
TREASURER’S REPORT: Sam H. reported a total of $3,427.13 in checking.
- Austin Historical – 6w
- Lady Bird Lake – 9w
- Fairview – 2w
- Georgetown – 4w
- Brushy Creek – 6w, 40 bikers
- Pflugerville – 6w
- Round Rock – 2w
- Salado – 2w
- Belton – 1w
Total = 78 w (-2 coupon) Total $228.00
1. Susan Medlin is suggesting and putting to vote at the next TVA meeting to change the 2nd bi-yearly meeting from Aug to Nov. August can be extremely hot for walking. She would then like to use our date of Nov 14, 2020 to hold the meeting in Round Rock. Our club would be asked to help and Carol says she will only ask for our club to handle the walks to be published for the meeting. Members can offer support if they wish.
2. There are many changes to the special programs for the YRE’s. 14 special programs are being dropped and three are being added. They are “Anything near an Airport”, “Public Clocks”, and “Mayflower” (including Pilgrims names and Native Americans.) Carol has been walking and checking out our 9 walks (and 1 bike route) to change the directions and maybe modify the walks that were rerouted to include the 14 programs being dropped. If any member has time to help it is appreciated.
3. Workers walk to be Saturday, October 19, at 9 am for the upcoming CRW walking event on November 9th at the Yarrabee Bend Park, part of Onion Creek Metropolitan Park, Austin. This is the same park where CRW hosted the Ghost Walk two years ago. The park has been upgraded with paths and picnic areas. Meet at the larger parking area by taking William Cannon eastward off I 35 for about 1 ½ miles. Right on Pleasant Valley Rd., then the first left onto Onion Creek Dr. Turn right at the first right, Shady Cedar Dr.
4. CRW will host the Optoutside Walk after Thanksgiving, at Georgetown YRE starting at 1 pm. Option for early dinner after the walk and to see the lighting in the square.
5. Stephanie has been working on our Website. She can be contacted with suggestions using her email as listed on the site contact page.
A. YRE’s, – checking on the contacts as Carol seems to be the only contact except Doug handles Brushy Creek. (note: CRW would like some members to step up and handle the routes, walking checking for changing or construction, and to keep the walk boxes full of correct materials. Contact Carol to offer.)
B. Stephanie is aiming for 2 posts a week to keep the web site fresh.
Help out by sending photos of members at events and walks. The website may be able to use some information from the Check Point.
C. There are a lot of photos from the old web page that are not on the new web page. Stephanie asked if interested in a “Throw Back” Thursday and post a photo.
All the members present liked this idea. Remember Stephanie can use our support, ideas and back up for web page.
1. There will be a memorial for Paula L Wiesner at 1:30 on Nov 2nd at the First Unitarian Church, 4700 Grover Ave in Austin. Nov 2nd is also the WurstFest walk New Braunfels, starting point: 178 Landa Park Dr, TX 78130. Carol plans to walk and attend the memorial as Paula was a long time walker.
2. We have had discussions about Darwin from Lakeway and the Volkssport walk he would like to have in the town. The next event is on Nov 16th. Watch for an email from Carol inviting members to join her, as she plans to attend. Not a AVA sanctioned event, but an information walk.
3. The Wanderer had several CRW members who sent in books to be recorded:
Barbara Byers, Debra Galloway, Linda Dennis.
4. Greg reported on the West Texas Walkers three day event held over the weekend at Caprock Canyon State Park; including Caprock Canyons Trailways & Turkey Depot, Bull Canyon, Copper Breaks State Park. Greg walked the county YRE’s on the way to Caprock and back home to Austin in time to attend our meeting.
The meeting adjourned at 7:55 pm.
Next meeting: Nov 11th (Plan for Dec 9th Holiday meeting home of Kathy and Les Stratemann)
Barbara B., Secretary
Oct 19: 8 to 11 am: Eisenhower Park 11k/5k in San Antonio
Oct 26: 8am to 12pm: Camp Capers Caper 10k/5k in Waring
Oct 26th 9am to 12pm: Winedale Historical Center 10k/5k in Round Top Tx
Nov 2nd and 3rd 8am to 12pm Wurstfest 10k/5k in New Braunfels
Nov 9th 8 to 11am: Yarrabee Bend Park at Onion Creek Austin (CRW)