Colorado River Walkers
August 12, 2019
CALL TO ORDER: The meeting was called to order by President, Carol O. at 6:30 pm at the Mueller HEB meeting room. Ten members were present.
MINUTES: The 07/8/19 meeting minutes were presented by Mary Z., acting for Secretary Barb B. The minutes were approved as read.
TREASURER’S REPORT: Sam H. reported a total of $3,399.85 in checking as of 07/31/2019.
- Austin Historical – 10w
- Lady Bird Lake – 0w
- Fairview – 1w
- Georgetown – 0w
- Brushy Creek – 1w, 0 bikers
- Pflugerville – 3w
- Round Rock – 0w
- Salado – 3w
- Belton – 1w
Total = 19 w (1 coupon) Total $54.00
1. Carol O. Thanked Charles R. for attending the TVA Meeting in Abilene in her stead. He reported the following highlights of the meeting. (Please refer to Carol’s Email dated Sat. Aug 17th for the official minutes of the meeting and the Board Meeting Minutes)
A. 19 of the 24 clubs were represented. Flyers were left for CRW’s Aug 24th Sunrise walks and the Sept 28th event, Walnut Creek Park to Balcones District Park
B. Main item is the need for a VP for the TVA. Historically there were 2 VP’s but these two position were consolidated into one. The TVA is seeking a volunteer. The main duty is for the TVA VP is event walks at the Memorial walk and New Year’s walk.
C. Special Guests were Bill Hancock, Runnels County Register, and Tommy Turney, Ballinger City, who spoke about doing volksmarches in their area. They are working with a health and wellness group in their community to try to start a walking club in Ballinger. (Way to help grow Volkssporting?)
D. A Regional Website, AVA-Southwest.org has been established. It is a user friendly with posting of information and events in the Southwest Region.
E. 2023 AVA convention: Derrill Rothermich, President of the Las Cruces club has volunteered as the host club for the 2023 convention. Volunteers will be needed and most of the attending club presidents/representatives indicated they would support the effort. We will be able to sign up to help in the future
F. Texas Trail Roundup is in Feb. 2020, and website is open for registration.
G. New Year’s Eve walks were discussed: There was discussion at the TVA meeting of having them in the Austin area, but it is hard to find a good start/finish location. Members voted to have the New Year’s walk in Fredericksburg.
2. CRW’s Sunrise Event is Sat. Aug 24th at the Extended Stay America 7 am to 10am. Carol O. and Mary Z. will be at the start point.
3. The next CRW walking event will be Sept 28th, Walnut Creek Park to Balcones District Park
It will start at Walnut Creek Park 12138 N. Lamar Blvd., 78753. A pavilion has been rented for $60.00. We can sign up to help at the Sept meeting.
5. Carol O. suggested reading the latest CheckPoint she emailed to us as it contains a lot of information about upcoming changes.
1. It has been suggested that each of the clubs find new ways to advertise. Discussion on Facebook and the CRW website followed.
2. The American Wanderer (TAW) now has earlier deadlines for submissions as it is only published 4 times a year. Carol O. made the decision to have our Nov. walk at the Onion Creek Regional Park and wrote an article for the TAW in order to meet the deadline for the next publication.
3. Discussion of a walking event in Meuller. Anyone interested in developing this should contact Carol O.
4. Join the Texas Trail Roundup at Northstar Mall for a “Beat the Heat” indoor, air conditioned walk around the mall on August 31 @ 9:00 am – 12:00 pm.
5. Doug E. suggested a YRE event be added at the Barton Creek Mall so Austin will have a “Beat the Heat” indoor walk. Our club cannot develop this in time for the Starting Point for 2019 but can developed for the 2020 publication. Doug E. will be in charge of development.
6. Charles R. talked about a traveling guided walk. Cost $40 for a year round and $30 for an event.
The meeting adjourned at 7:55 pm.
Next meeting: Sept 9th
Aug 24: 7 am to 10 am: Colorado River Walkers at Extended Stay America, 3 YREs
Aug 31: 9 am to 12 pm Texas Trail Roundup at Northstar Mall
Sept 7: 8 am to 10 am The World Heritage Festival at 6030 Padre Dr San Antonio
Sept 14: 7 am to 10 am Hood County Hummers, Granbury TX at W M Wright Historic Park 2 hours NW of Austin
Barbara B., Secretary